Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Rethinking Writing Tool Organization {11 of 31 Slice of Life}

They looked at me puzzled today when I shared I wanted to reorganize our writing tools by color.  I shared I thought it would improve our illustrative work and help us make better decisions.  They still looked puzzled at me.  I mentioned it could be hard trying to find a specific color in a container of crayons and they didn't seem to think that was harder.  I tried to think quickly from their point of view and realized that's all they knew.  I containers with lots of crayons and they've always just searched through for the color they wanted.  I realized I needed to think quickly to show them a new way or reasons for my thinking and to get their buy in.  I grabbed a handful of purple crayons and showed them the range of shades.  

I did some thinking out loud.  
I have five purple crayons.
They all aren't the same color.  
If I wanted to draw spring flowers, I'd pick this light shade of purple.
If I wanted to show anger, I'd choose this very dark purple.

Then the puzzled faces turned to heads nodding yes and smiles.  

I can't wait to see how our illustrative work changes and conference over their decision making.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community and offering this challenge.



1 comment:

  1. Sigh, I guess the illustrative work will have to pause for the time being. I'd love to see some pictures of the work (when you are back together).

    ReplyDelete