Monday, March 16, 2020

Who's Helping Who? {16 of 31 Slice of Life}

I'm staying.  An email had come from our building principal that when we had our things ready for families we could go home and work from home.  Teachers were given the option to put things outside at the curb and families could do a drive by pick up.  It's also report season time and more preparation for remote learning.  I appreciated that message and offer and hunkered down til 4pm.  I had offered for my families to come in for their child or with their child if they wanted to book shop for themselves.  Our public libraries have closed and books were needed for independent reading at home.  Each time I heard footsteps approach my door I smiled.  It was so nice to have closure with families and many students came in.  It was so fun to help students build reading stacks.  Some had plans already for what they wanted.  Some were willing to take some new suggestions.  Some lingered a bit pondering what they wanted and there was a sense of calm with our departure from what we know.  If parents needed me to pull a book stack it was fun to read what their child wanted and I often snuck in a stretch or something new.  I received a couple of emails thanking me for helping their child have closure and I really felt they helped me more than I helped them.   New adventures await...staying connected is going to be key.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community and offering this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment