Friday, July 3, 2020

My Wooden Box {Poetry Friday}

a single 
wooden box
entertains
my days

propped in my yard 
near my garden 
inviting 
cavity dwelling birds

for weeks
I chase away
a non-cavity dwelling bird
the house sparrow

passively

gently removing 
their nest
haphazardly created

natural materials
junk; thread, plastic, paper
frustrating to see

patiently waiting
hoping 
for a nest of pine needles

surprise
a nest with twigs
discover
it's a house wren

encouraging

new friend
build male bird build
female wants to 
lay some eggs

house sparrow
returns - building
on twigs

gently removing

patiently waiting

encouraged
my house wren
returns

Mandy Robek @ 2020




Thank you Linda at A World Edgewise for hosting Poetry Friday this week.





4 comments:

  1. Mandy, this is lovely. What a sweet photo to illustrate the building of this nest. Your poem carries the feel of building....that line build male blue bird build...has momentum in it. Thanks for sharing a bit of nesting joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm rooting for the house wrens, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't birds just fun to watch? They are so creative creating nest from nature. Hope you get some babies soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, thanks for this insight. I don't have birdhouses, and so I thought yay when the house sparrow appeared. But I guess the wren was more welcome :>) Love your opening stanza.

    ReplyDelete