Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Rain Before Rainbows

I love collecting social emotional books and I am so happy to add Rain Before Rainbows by Sriti Prasadam - Halls to my collection. This book takes readers on a journey with a girl and fox. As this friendship pair begins walking the reader senses they are leaving something behind. The author gives great examples of things that were and what they can be offering readers - a feeling of forward movement. For example, "Night before daybreak. The old day is done." 

I love the encouragement I felt about the hardships we all face. "Dark days may shake us and worries creep in, with dragons to duel and battles to win." Girl and fox discover friends who are helpful and kind. I just wanted to say YES! friends are a rope to hold on to especially when it's so easy to keep things to ourselves when life gets hard. The story ends with the reminder that morning is bright. 

Illustrator David Litchfield used ink and paint and then rendered the images digitally and all I can say is WOW! The shading and intentional use of light brings softness to each page. This softness on the pages of darkness makes the darkness seem natural. We all have mountains to climb. 

As I opened the book Rain Before Rainbows by Smriti Prasadam-Halls something caught my eye in the small print section with all the publishing and copyright information. "Inspired by Psalm 30:5 - "Weeping my tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." I hope to find an interview with Sriti Prasadam. I'd love to know more about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment