Tuesday, May 30, 2023

The Little Book of Joy by His Holiness the Dalai Lama & Archbishop Desmond Tutu {Mental Wellness}


A friend gifted me the book, 
The Little Book of Joy by His Holiness the Dalai Lama & Archbishop Desmond Tutu when my world felt a little bit uncertain and it brought me a lot of comfort. I teared up reading with several moments of bibliotherapy. 

I'm going to share the bibliotherapy moment that tugged most at my heart. 

"Even if you slam the door and your joy can't get in, it's just not he other side waiting in al loving hug."

I was reminded while I couldn't feel joy right now and missed it, it was waiting and would return which is the message of this entire book. His holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu share their story of growing up away from each other longing for a friend. They share if we look at just sadness that is all we see and encourage readers to look around for joy.

Their examples of joy are easy to find; the warm sun on us, being silly, a cozy bed, and rain puddles to name a few. They also share once they found joy they found sharing their joy created more joy.

I think it's a great mentor text for writing a list of joyful things. I think it's a great text to launch sharing joyful things from our classrooms into the world. I'm going to be pondering how to do that more intentionally this summer for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment