Monday, June 5, 2023

It's Monday, What Are you Reading? {#IMWAYR}


It's Monday, What are you reading? and my answer is The Book of Boundaries Set the Limits That Will Set You Free by Melissa Urban. I usually start the summer off with a self improvement book and this has been in my TBR pile for a few months. I'm enjoying the gentle advice and organization of this book.

Part One goes over boundary beginnings and guidance for using the book. Part Two is organized by different settings we need boundaries for; work, balance, parents, neighbors, friends, partners - that's how far I am and I'm about half way through the book. 

My biggest love so far is the different scenarios described and Melissa's scripts for setting a boundary. I never imagined levels for boundary setting. Melissa offers three suggestions for each scenario and they are color coded by green, yellow, and red. Some boundaries can be simply shared in generally positive manner and some need to be pretty direct.

I'm finding I can read a scenario - see if it applies to my life now or maybe in the future and breeze through a few pages at a time. 

                   

                             Thank you Jen at Teach Mentor Texts for co-hosting this event 

with Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers.

3 comments:

  1. Starting off the summer with a self improvement book is a great idea. This isn't one I've heard off, but it sounds very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a brilliant and helpful book, Mandy—I feel like none of us are good at setting boundaries, but they're really necessary for keeping every single aspect of our lives (besides the ones we actually value) from trying to absorb us completely! I love that this is a step-by-step guide with example scenarios, as well as clarity about how forceful the boundary needs to be. Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a book that many would benefit from, Mandy. The color-coding is something I use for a task list so I can at least imagine how that might work. Thanks, wishing you a great summer ahead!

    ReplyDelete