Monday, June 5, 2017

A Squiggly Story by Andrew Larsen

A Squiggly Story by Andrew Larsen is a book to revisit a few times to discuss different aspects of writing workshop.  Right away, I could empathize with main character as she describes her older sister.  Quite often younger siblings have a comparison hurdle to overcome.  The little brother is stuck, unsure how to get started writing and worried he doesn't know how to write.  The older sister is encouraging and they actually have a little writing conference to help him get started.  The older sister is positive and offers suggestions, isn't that what we try to do as teachers?  I'm reminded about my classrooms filled with kindergarten writers.  The little boy brings his story to sharing circle at school and "reads" his story which is a verbal retelling more detailed and involved than his actual writing.  I love how the little boy admits he's stuck and his peers offer helpful suggestions.  Writers grow with peer feedback.  The ending is a celebration in itself for this new writer and one I can't give away.

I'll be honest, at first I wanted the boy's writing to be more phonetic because I thought the book was about the actual writing but it's not.  It's about a process.  It's about a community that supports each other.  This will be a must read for next year in our room.

2 comments: