I'm so excited today! It's July 10th which means August is coming up next and on August 10th we are lucky to host Picture Book 10 for 10. I really should go back and reread your book, More than Guided Reading. I remember writing my initial thoughts as a blogpost and discovering you left me a comment. Talk about being starstruck! Then you wanted to know some of my must have picture books to use in my classroom and I think that brought me anxiety, uncertainty, butterflies in my stomach. We started chatting via Twitter and all of a sudden a little flake of an idea turned into a snowball rolling down a mountain and we were co-hosting a social media event together.
Now Cathy, I am a bit worried this year. I've been spying on you a little bit and have noticed you are out and about. You are on the coast and then you are getting coffee and then you are shopping for books without me. It looks like you are zipping and zooming around stopping here and there. I am not doing those things right now. I'm back home here in Ohio holding down the fort. I have a focus for my picture book sharing this year. I purchased two new books. I'm looking through resources for some titles to add to my list, I need 8 more. I might even duck into my classroom to glance over the books I already own. I really can't wait for you to see my list because it's matching up to another small project I'm collaborating on, thanks to Tony Keefer. I like how I wrote small project, I'm pretty sure that's what Tony said in his direct tweet.
So, Cathy I just want to remind you of the details for our #pb10for10 event.
- Grab a Badge (I like to select the image and save image as...)
- Join the #pb10for10 Google Community
- Choose Your Favorites: All you need to do is choose ten picture books you cannot live without for whatever reason. In the first days of this event, everyone shared their ten very favorite titles. This still works. You will notice, however, that many past participants choose some type of theme to determine their selections. We'll leave this up to you.
- Narrow Your List to Ten: It isn't easy, is it? We've seen some crafty ways to get around that number, but really ten is plenty.
- Write Your August 10th Post: Write a post about the ten books you cannot live without. Share your post on August 10th and link it to the Picture Book 10 for 10 Community.
- No Blog? No Problem: If you don't have a blog, this might be the perfect time to start one --- or now with the Google Community it is quite easy to just post your favorites directly into the community without a blog. We will also be tweeting from the #pb10for10 hashtag.
- Comment: On August 10th (and maybe for a week --- there are a lot of posts) take some time to read posts from other participants. Please comment on at least three.
Hurry Home Cathy! You've got some work ahead of you!