Monday, August 3, 2009

At the Zoo


by Douglas Florian isn't new but is new to me. I was shopping at The Half Price Book store this week, looking for some deals to help my kdg. library grow and found this little gem. I am fortunate enough to teach and live right down the road from the Columbus Zoo. My own children have grown up going weekly for short visits and I know many children in my classroom will have done the same and have connections. Two things grabbed my attention when I picked up this book. First, was the simple two to three words per page. I thought what a great mentor text for emerging writers. Secondly, the illustrations are ones children will feel at home with. The animals are drawn with a pen outline and filled in with colored pencils. I look forward in using this text for several purposes this coming school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment