Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Word Wall Literature - My Car


I had to pick a few books up at the library one evening and thought I would quickly browse the display shelves in the children's section and joyfully found, My Car by Byron Barton. This book was published in 2001 but is new to me. I immediately picked it up from the shelves to explore my word wall children's literature thinking further and found it to be a perfect reading for the word my. The collage pages against a yellow background are simple and match the text. The text interested me more with the use of short sentences I thought my children would easily pick up on and read independently. For example, "This is my car." As I was reading along, I stumbled upon a diagram with the sentence, "My car has many parts." What a great opportunity to introduce a nonfiction feature to my younger students. As I used this in class the next day, I was surprised when the students began reading right along with me on a first read. I knew then we were growing since we met in August, that was a great feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you share so many books that are new to you, but aren't necessarily newly published. I've gotten so many good ideas from your posts.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete