Friday, November 12, 2010

Amazing Faces {Poetry Friday}

It's been awhile since I joined Poetry Friday and I'm not sure why.  After meeting and learning about Chris Soentpiet's work, I knew I had to return with Amazing Faces.  This book is a collection of poetry gathered by the great Lee Bennett Hopkins and illustrated by the skillfully talented Chris Soentpiet.  The book is filled with multicultural settings and characters.  The collection of poetry takes the reader on a journey to ponder about baby faces, a seamstress in chinatown, a sleeping child, a young girl, and many more.  The amazing faces found in this book and the collection of poetry is all based on normal everyday situations.  Chris Soentpiet took normal situations and has woven the poetry language into beautiful masterpieces.  Bringing the poems literally to life in his realistic work.  I was thrilled to learn Chris is working with Lee Bennett Hopkins again in creating, Amazing Places.  Another collection I'm sure that will be brilliant.

I was so happy to see one of my favorite poems conclude this book.

My People

The night is beautiful.
So the faces of my people.

The stars are beautiful.
So the eyes of my people.

Beautiful, also, is the sun.
Beautiful, also, are the souls of my people.

Langston Hughes.

Take the time to get to know the souls of those you are around,
I may have shared this poem before but one worth revisiting.

You can find the round up at Scrub a Tub Dub.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mandy. I'll look for this one. And I love the Langston Hughes poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for highlighting this book. It is one I want for my library and home. I LOVE that Hughes poem too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't seen this book yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mandy: Thank you SO much for
    your kind words about my book,
    AMAZING FACES. It was a joy to
    do with Chris and with Lee & Low
    for believing in the project.

    My best.

    Lee Bennett Hopkins

    ReplyDelete