Monday, November 15, 2010

Dinnertime!

Dinnertime! by Sue Williams is book with safe predictions and one big surprise!  The book starts with six fat rabbits romping near a scarecrow, not seeing the fox off in the distance.  The rabbits are encouraged to run and then dinnertime is announced.  The reader turns the page to discover five fat rabbits playing in the hay.  The fox and dinnertime announcement continues throughout the story down to one rabbit.  These will be easy safe predictions for my students to see.  As I turned the page after one fat rabbit my safe predictions were no longer appropriate and as a reader I was quite surprised with the ending.  I can't wait to share this book with my students.  The text is simple and repetitive.  As I explore predictions in kindergarten I have really tried to keep the text accessible to most of my students.  Making these books a great addition to our shared reading or buddy reading collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment