Saturday, January 8, 2011

Birds

Birds by Kevin Henkes was published in 2009 and I hadn't picked it up yet.  I'm so glad I picked it up now as I ponder creating a bird feeding area/observation space outside our classroom windows.  More on that later.  Birds is written for young children and reflects the thinking and observations a young child would make.  I love how the book begins with an interaction with a bird.  "In the morning, I hear birds singing through the open window."  Often when children or adults see or hear something they may think further about a subject as does the narrator in this book.  I think this book would be a great mentor for children to read and think about writing daily observations in their own book.  My favorite page is a painting that illustrates the thought of birds making marks as they fly.  I could see children trying to replicate this painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment