Friday, January 7, 2011

The Story of Snow

The Story of Snow, the Science of Winter's Wonder by Mark Cassino with Jon Nelson, PhD is right up my alley for a couple of reasons.  It's lightly snowing outside right now and I grew up in Upstate New York spending my college years in Buffalo.  I love when the Midwest is covered in a white blanket.  It's so much prettier than the dull yards and dreary skies.  Those are some personal reasons.  Here are my reasons for loving this book as a reader and a teacher.

It's filled with facts about snow.  When I first opened this book I thought it was too complicated for my young readers.  After reading the entire book, I think it could work K-5.  For K students teachers can read the larger sentence, one fact per page to get the big idea.  Other grade levels could chose how much of the smaller detailed facts you would want to read.  The book describes how a snowflake is formed.  The book describes the shape of snowflakes and I just learned snow crystals can be plates, crystals without arms.  This book describes possible attributes of snowflakes.  Then it concludes with directions how to catch your own snow crystals.  I can't wait to read this with the girls this weekend.

The book is filled with enlarged photographs from a nature photographer of real snowflakes.  There are also actual size comparisons noted in several places.  I know snow can be frustrating, cold, and cause complications in life.  However, there is a science and wonder to snow.  Stop and try to discover this winter, if you can.

1 comment:

  1. We've had a lot of snow (for our part of the world) already this winter and I keep trying to hold on to the wonder and delight! (pushing a pushchair through lots of slush isn't much fun and trying to get the kids togged up and out the door in all their snow gear in less than 20 minutes can be a challenge) So if this book can help me enjoy the snow I shall definitely track it down!

    ReplyDelete