Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 10 for 10: Reflection

I just wanted to thank everyone who has stopped by and enjoyed our August 10 for 10: Picture Book event.  If you shared a top ten list, they are just fabulous and a great resource for us to turn to.  I loved reading so many personal insights for the books chosen.  It was fun to see books appear on more than one list.  It was fun to read the different ways people collected their books.  It was fun to meet new people via technology.  With such a wealth of book suggestions I started out handwriting a list of books that were new to me.  I also said I wasn't going to buy any books but could use the public library.  Then I got excited about books and made a plan.  Amazon does a three for four deal on paperbacks and wham! I was over at the amazon.com website in a flash.  My goal was just one three for four grouping, four new books and this was going to show control.  As I typed in titles many came up only in hard back and I passed right over those.  They made it to the library list.  I was really going to be able to keep to my three for four goal until, one hard cover book was a super deal.  I just couldn't pass it up.  A principal bought it for every teacher in her building, a picture book, a mentor text for student writing.  I had to buy it and if you search the JOG you too will find the one book I got.  I slightly fudged my plan.  A huge shout out to Cathy for helping make this event happen, I couldn't do it without her.

4 comments:

  1. That is so interesting I also picked up on that one book title for the whole building. I already owned it but had never used it that way. Very exciting thanks for all your hard work on PB 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really fun, & I added so many books to my wishlist too. Guess I'd better get to the library first! Thanks for doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    You know I always love hosting this event with you. I'm in for 3....and you?

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,

    I'm in for 3, anything with you.

    ReplyDelete