Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes

I just can't withhold my excitement!  Today in the mail Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin arrived at our door.  Tonight for bedtime we downloaded the song, listened, read, and were rocking to the beat.  Eric Litwin has done it again.  He has created a jazzy tune about a blue cat that captures the hearts of readers.  I didn't think anything could be better than the original Pete the Cat, until now. 

I instantly knew I've found THE book to read to my students the first time we meet on August 18th in the evening.  My students will come with their parents to see the room, do a scavenger hunt, and listen to Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes.  Then I do a little orientation with parents.

In this new adventure, Pete the Cat is rocking at his school.  Pete the Cat rides the Cat City Bus with his orange backpack and green lunchbox.  Two important things needed for that first day.  I think children will find comfort in this book.  Pete has never been to the library.  Pete has to eat lunch in a loud big room.  Lots of kids are on the playground running.  Pete does a few other things our students will do in school.  On his journey the reader wonders, "Does Pete worry?  Goodness, no!"  

At the end of the story we get to meet Pete's Mom and I love how she comes into the story, like all moms do at the end of the day.  I have my black dress already picked out for this evening but now I have to shop and get my own Pete shoe's for school.  I borrowed gray shoes from my daughter last year but this is going to need something a bit splashier.   We will be rocking in our school shoes this year.  My head is already thinking about collaboration with our music staff and literacy extensions. 

I was a little bummed I missed the release date for this book but am grateful to my friend Franki.  I also thought her post, PETE THE CAT:  ROCKING IN MY NEW SHOES was so well done I didn't need to do one but my excitement won out.

3 comments:

  1. OK, now I really need to get a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I can FEEL the excitement! I'm going to have to get a copy too -- now! Love that you'll be sharing this the first meeting with your students -- perfect, just perfect! Especially because everyone gets new shoes for school, right? Can't wait to see what fun shoes you pick out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this book, Mandy! I know our kindergarten teachers would love it, so I think it's a "must-get"!

    I spent over an hour browsing throughout your site this morning! The teacher resources you share are ones I find that are top-notch on my shelves, too! I know that several IRA's you shared will be on my "must-get" list this year.

    Thank you for taking time to blog! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete