Friday, August 5, 2011

Pooh filled with Poetry {Poetry Friday}

What shall we do about
poor little Tigger?
If he never eats nothing he'll
never get bigger.
He doesn't like honey and haycorns
and thistles
Because of the taste and because of
the bristles.
and all the good things which an
animal likes
Have the wrong sort of swallow or
too many spikes


I am so excited for the upcoming school year for my B.  She is going into third grade and is definitely a transitional reader.  She found the book, The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne at the library and wanted to read it before going to see the new Pooh movie.  We have previously read Pooh stories organized as individual picture books or early readers when she was younger but not in this true chapter book format.   I was surprised she was interested in Pooh but not really when I see the organization of this book and have had conversations with her.  It's not an easy text and the characters are really fun to talk about.  It's filled with poetry via songs Pooh creates and B loves to write her own songs and sings to anything on the radio.  She also began walking around the house saying, "I feel like Pooh."  Which lets others know she is feeling a little bit hungry, Pooh is always hungry for honey. 

I also found some poetry writing advice from Pooh I'm going to save to share with students.  "It's the best way to write poetry, letting things come."  That is a little writing gem from A.A. Milne.  Thanks for letting me discover it with you B.

Thank you to Libby for hosting at A Year of Literacy Coaching.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet although the song made by Kenny Loggins is one that is ringing through my head now. The way that you described it - sounds charming indeed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were wee, we called my little sister "Lynnie the Pooh." I think I will have to get this book for her. :) How wonderful that your daughter says she's feeling Pooh. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does my heart good to hear that a modern little girl loves Winnie-the-Pooh. Hope she will also read the poems in Now We Are Six - great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem -- it's a perfect description of feeling picky ("Have the wrong sort of swallow"). One of the Pooh words that I like is "smackerel." Your daughter probably wants a smackerel of something when she's feeling like Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy and Cathy--Thanks for getting me thinking again about great picture books and thanks for your amazing list! Can't wait to read all the lists and then shop and share with kids!
    My post is here:
    http://amliteracylearninglog.blogspot.com/2011/08/10-picture-books-that-help-us-face.html

    love,
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete