Thursday, March 22, 2012

Slice 2012 - 23 of 31 Today I Learned


Manatees teeth are all molars. Manatees lose their front teeth, new molars come up in back and the all move forward to fill missing teeth gap. Only mammal to do this. Manatees have no predators. Manatees go out into Tampa Bay when it's 68 degrees or above. Under 68 degrees they hang out in water next to power plant which is 92 degrees year round. Manatees flipper skeletal structure is like our arm skeletal structure. Manatees are also called sea cows. Cow on land or water eat grass. A manatees eat 10% a day if their body weight. Average weight being 1500 pounds. I love learning new things and revisiting things I may not use daily.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your new learning! I feel like this is a bonus of teaching, being able to learn some interesting info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see how excited your kindergarteners are going to be when you share all of this cool information. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I know nothing about manatees to share back. You also make me think that this would be a neat writing activity to to at the end of a day. It could be a cooperative efoort to put a few sentences in a class journal at the end of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating creatures manatees. Thank you for celebrating and sharing your new learning. As Regie Routman says, ' we should be joyfully literate!'

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of food. Interesting to learn a little about the manatee. Interestingly, I have been considering a similar post about information I'm collecting about the heron. I want to then use the facts to create a story (literary nonfiction-like). My hope is to try this type of writing in order to help students who are trying writing similar to this. Hope you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure why your last line keeps swirling around my brain -- "revisiting things I may not use daily."

    I like this thought and am thinking about how very true it is for me too.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete