Monday, April 16, 2012

A Garden of Opposites

This past Saturday, the girls and I had a day in downtown Columbus, Ohio.  We took in a couple of plays and in between the two we had time to spend in German Village.  Our German Village time included shopping at a store where seniors make crafts to sell, Golden Hobby Shop, a trip to Starbucks for something warm while it rained all day, a stop to one of our favorite book stores The Book Loft, and dinner at the first Max and Erma's.  I was in the mood for bargains and found some to share with you this week.  

I picked up A Garden of Opposites by Nancy Davis for a few reasons.  First, I thought my emerging readers would love the one word labels on each page while reading.  Once the reader knows and understands opposites I think the illustrations will be very supportive for early readers.  They are simple, colorful, and focused on just one word labeling the illustration.  The Common Core asks K students to clarify the meaning of unknown words and I can easily see my K students asking for clarification for the words dull and alike.  Young students love opposites and I think while reading this they will instantly engage them with guess/reading the second word in the pair of opposites.  Opposites are antonyms and this book is a great way to introduce this to any elementary classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Great suggestion, I teach K and will have to look for this! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy,
    Sounds like a great day. I love the Book Loft and haven't been there for quite some time. Thanks for the reminder about this little gem close by. A Garden of Opposites sounds interesting. I'm going to have to check it out.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete