Monday, March 4, 2013

Book Whisperer - Reflection #7

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller is the focus for this year and the Literacy Connection group here in Central Ohio.  As I read Chapter 7, I found myself anticipating spring readers.  I love observing the independence and excitement emerging readers have gained.  Donalyn reminds us, "The purpose of school should not be to prepare students for more school.  We should be seeking to have fully engaged students now."  

Chapter 7 is full of goodness, research backing and supporting student choice to foster and grow as readers.  As a kindergarten teacher, I think choice is sometimes hard for teachers to give emerging readers because they are learning to read and need direct strategy instruction.  It can be done with balance.  My students have guided reading books and choice books in their book boxes.  I've been having book shopping for choice books be at the same time and day for everyone and this seems silly when thinking about the work real readers do.   We all did it together so everyone could learn how to do it but we don't need to be doing it that way still.  I'm going to change that today.  Readers should be able to book shop when they want and we have a morning explore time that will be perfect to shop for books as they settle in to their day of learning.  I also think they could book shop during reading explore while I try to meet with small groups.  

Donalyn's goal is to create life long readers.  I want my students to be life long readers.  I know they are readers now and the excitement for school is high.  I hope they can maintain this enthusiasm as they move through the grades ahead and encounter various reading situations and formats for instruction.  

1 comment:

  1. Mandy,
    Thank you for reminding us we prepare readers for now. I struggle with this from time to time. I look at the classrooms my kids will be moving up to and wonder what I can do to make them ready for Mrs.... Your post reminds me that if I prepare them to be readers, real readers they will have all they need!

    Wishing you luck on your new way for book choice, I think you will be pleased!

    ReplyDelete