Sunday, March 3, 2013

SLICE 2013 - 3 of 31 Palmolive ?

We like to shop at Costco and often my husband does the shopping on his way home from running on Saturday mornings.  He does a great job looking for the best deal.  Our dish soap had been the Kirkland brand for quite some time so when he came home from his last trip I noticed the dish soap had changed to my favorite color, green.  It was Palmolive.  I then remembered my mom used Palmolive dish soap faithfully when I was growing up.  I didn't think anything more about it and kept using the current bottle of dish soap.  

I went to do dishes one day last week, felt the bottle was quite heavier and saw it was the new bottle of Palmolive.  I didn't think twice about it and started to pour a small amount into my kitchen sink.  I was taken back by the scent of Palmolive dish soap and instantly thought about my mom using Palmolive dish soap when I was growing up.  I can't really remember a particular dish story to tell you.  I can't even really visualize her washing the dishes.  What I can tell you is the scent of dish soap reminded me of my mother.  It triggered a warm feeling in my heart and doing dishes now makes me smile.  



4 comments:

  1. The sense of smell is so strong - it can bring you back. Someone wore cologne that was the same as a boy I knew in high school. Took me right back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have no idea what kind of dish soap my parents used when I was a kid. For some reason we've settled on Ivory here in our house. I wonder if my daughter will get smell memories of it when she becomes an adult...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma used that all the time! I have the same reaction to "Scrub Free" kitchen cleaner. Do they still make that? We used it at a cafe where I was a waitress and every time I smell it, I am right back at that sink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! Scents can really take me to other places as well. If I remember, the scent of Palmolive is really distinctive - I remember it! Your connection to your mom through re-smelling Palmolive is very poignant.

    ReplyDelete