Friday, March 1, 2013

SLICE 2013 - 1 of 31 Poetry Friday Original

My seventh grade daughter just completed an ELA project.  She chose to do a tier 3 level; writing a couple of more poems and present in a creative way.  She is interested in fashion.  She has sewn a couple of projects and is interested in sewing more.  She had the idea to create a dress and display her poetry on the dress.  That could be a complicated project.  I was able to guide her and shop with her to create a skirt.  It was suppose to be a 15 minutes skirt without a pattern.  We worked on it all day Sunday, more than 15 min.  I forgot there is a difference in experience and rate of work when you are thirteen.

She needed one more poem and it needed to be a mentor text after she was done sewing.  I shared with her Ralph Fletcher's poem, "The Good Old Days" and described the process he had us go through when I was at the Dublin Literacy Conference this past Saturday, #dublit13.

I'll be honest, I wondered why she couldn't do a Tier 2 project.  I've wondered why she couldn't put her poems on paper, in a book.  I've wondered why she had to get so creative.  As I read her poems about fashion in Russia, Japan, Europe, Australia, Africa, America, and Asia, I was quite impressed with the research she had done and her choice of words.  However, her mentor text version of "The Good Old Days" tugs at my heart and made the whole project worthwhile.



The Good Old Days
by AER - 2013

Sometimes I remember
The good old days.

Stitching and sewing.
Twisting and turning.

My mother is there
to guide and protect.

After I'm done
I try it on.

Excited and relieved
wash over me.

I still can't imagine
Anything better than that.





Poetry Friday is hosted today by Julie at The Drift Record.

12 comments:

  1. I love this and the creativity of your daughter - Tell her great job! My daughter is 5 and we love to create together - that poem is certainly a gift to all moms out there who support when it's so much faster to just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sweet! I know that feeling well, complete exhaustion at helping your children only to have them make one comment that makes you realize it was all worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! Her creativity and the way you presented it put me to tears. You captured the mother/daughter relationship that I remember with my mother quite well. You have inspired me to write. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just lovely - all the more so because it is so clear that your participation and company was what she cherished most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two daughters, 15 and 9, and I have more than once, elbows deep in this project or that, wondered why they couldn't have picked a less creative endeavor. But in the end, the pride and accomplishment shines through their smile and it was worth it. You're daughter's poem says it all..."The Good Old Days" are now. Enjoy.
    Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet story! I used my #dublit13 poem from Ralph's session in my slice post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy, I love the way the project turned out! :) And thanks for sharing your poem, inspired by Ralph's session from last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you gave us a little glimpse into your daughter's writing life. You know...there's probably an article here. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandy,
    I'm not surprised she chose a Tier 3 project. She's your daughter, after all. You would have chosen a Tier 3 project. The project looks terrific. You have to be so proud. Her poem had to make you smile.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that this project is really a combination of who she is because of you -- thoughtful, a writer who understands mentor text, creative, and a sewer. What wonderful gifts you have given her.
    Love the final project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. **tears streaming down face**

    I love this post with all my heart. Give your daughter a hug from me and tell her that I said for her to give you one back, from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, I had to figure out how to change my blog so I could reply to this comment from you. You are always pushing my thinking forward. :) Your comment warms my heart so much because I know you understand poetry and children so well.

      Delete