Tuesday, March 5, 2013

SLICE 2013 - 5 of 31 Anticipation









According to dictionary.com
an·tic·i·pa·tion

 noun
1.
the act of anticipating or the state of being anticipated.
2.
realization in advance; foretaste.
3.
expectation or hope.
4.
previous notion; slight previous impression.
5.
intuition, foreknowledge, or prescience.


When I opened my garage this morning I captured the image below right away.  I thought beautiful.  A bit of spring is sprouting and looks great against the smidge of fallen snow.  I started anticipating spring this past weekend and started dreaming of warmer temperatures.  However, when I looked again at the cluster of daffodils trying to sprout amongst the fluffy smidge of snow I realized I could easily sway my anticipation back to winter for an approaching snow storm.  I could anticipate a snow day with my girls.  I do believe snow days are a gift of time.  I have some bananas ready for banana bread, a snow day tradition for us.  The time it takes to bake is the perfect amount of time to go outside and play or shovel the driveway.  Topping that off with hot chocolate and time together.  If the weather is bad enough for a snow day I always anticipate the roads are too dangerous to travel on and we are home for the day.  Even if I know growing up I drove in far worst conditions in Buffalo, NY.  

Anticipating can be a funny thing.  We anticipate what we don't know.  We anticipate what we hope for.  We anticipate what we do know or plans we have.  We anticipate the positive and unfortunately the negative.  Sometimes I think anticipating the negative helps us prepare.  However, anticipating is not a plan or an event and we have to be ready to roll with whatever comes our way.  I'm not a gambler at all but I'm anticipating a 50/50 chance I will be home tomorrow or at school teaching with my all my heart and energy, just trying to do my best for that moment in time.




14 comments:

  1. I do hope that you got your gift...a day filled with the scent of banana bread and having fun with your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anticipating the same thing - or am hoping for it. Although we have state testing and I really want to just get it done, I do love a snow day. :) Hope you get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes anticipating is half the fun. I love that you are anticipating both possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are anticipating snow, too! We haven't had a snow day yet this year, so better late than never, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...great minds think alike. I just posted my SOL and it's called Snow Day Anticipation. How funny is that? If we get a snow day, I'll be baking biscotti. :) If we do have school, I promised my kids I would finish False Prince tomorrow. Both will be equally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No daffodils braving the cold here in CT yet, but I'm anticipating their arrival any day! Hope you get your snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That photograph is great and I love the way it sparked your thinking about anticipation, good and bad. Is that banana bread I smell cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandy,
    I was cleaning up my photo library and came across some spring pictures I had taken last year. It was at that moment that I realized I can't wait for spring. I can't wait to see flowers. I can't wait to sit on my patio and listen to the birds again. Like you, I can probably shift my thinking a bit in anticipation of a snowstorm.

    I enjoyed your slice. I especially liked the repetition with anticipation at the end of your piece. There are so many things we anticipate.

    I'm changing your odds to 60/40. Mine remain 40/60.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, did you change your blog to match the slice badge? Only you. Is there a prize for that? I wonder if you could go get some fabric and make a special blog curtain. Maybe you could share some of that delicious banana bread as readers stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are stalking my comments. You must of read my comment at Julie's and popped back over here! If a blog curtain and banana bread is all it takes to get my wonderful friends over here I might just have to figure that all out.

      Delete
  10. I love the image and your thinking, but what's really capturing my attention is the last word in the definition. I know it is pronounced |ˈpreSH(ē)əns, ˈprē-|, but I'm seeing it as pre-science. So...anticipation is a kind of hypothesis. What we do BEFORE the science of observation, measuring and analyzing kick in. Hmm...Mary Lee's having a vocabulary moment.

    AND I've got some pretty ripe bananas, so I'll be joining you with banana bread. Maybe chocolate chip? :-) Happy snow day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great connection to science! My family would prefer chocolate chip but I didn't do that today and it's almost gone.

      Delete
  11. I hope you get to bake your banana bread and Julie gets to bake her biscuits. I loved snow days when the girls were home, but without them, there is another layer to the delightful gift of a day I wasn't expecting. Anticipating the loveliness of this snow day greatly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry I will miss snow days that are busy and feel lonely. It's a long way off with no one here but it's just one more year with all three. Thanks for letting me know it will still be delightful.

      Delete