Wednesday, March 6, 2013

SLICE 2013 - 6 of 31 Learning at Home.

My snow day was beautiful!  I loved taking the time to just be with my girls. I thought this morning about all the learning we would do today just by nature.  I often tell parents it's the little things in short burst of time that can have the greatest impact in learning.  It makes me sad when parents seem frustrated the kids are home or eager for them to return to school.  

My youngest and I were talking about fractions as we made donuts for breakfast with strawberry smoothies.  We used geometry to play the game Blokus and our work knowledge as we played Boggle.  My oldest was reading informational text and thinking about math as she and a special friend made homemade waffles for a late breakfast.  The funniest part was watching her trying to crack eggs gently so the yolk would not get in the egg whites that needed to be stiffened.  We observed various birds at our backyard feeders.  A great collection of finches, cardinals, and even some kind of hawk.  We discovered the best packing snow fell last night and the girls were able to roll the biggest snowman base it couldn't roll anymore and he/she never got finished.  After that they went for the smallest balls for easy tossing.  We fed the birds and squirrels in hopes of fostering more observations.  We used our taste buds to savor banana bread and hot chocolate. (notice how much banana bread is left, I should of photographed the last piece)  We learned a bit about spring cleaning bathrooms and how pleasant teamwork can be.  My two youngest led the way following directions for homemade pretzels.  We ate them while we had reading time.  Then we had to watch the Wizard of Oz movie, one of my childhood favorites to gather background knowledge for a new movie coming out this weekend, Oz the Great and Powerful.  There is always things to do and work to be done but today it was about us.  At one point, I sat on the couch and had a feeling of summer when things are a slower pace. Thank goodness spring break is getting closer.


2 comments:

  1. What a great day, full of fun and learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice when Mother Nature intervenes, and gets us to slow down. (Looking forward to Oz, too, and remembering how my older son and I read most of the books in the series. My other two boys were never interested, but I realize that I like that single connection with the older boy.)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete