Sunday, March 2, 2014

SLICE 2014 - 2 of 31 Stealing is Okay!

Stealing is okay in life, is an unexpected lesson I watched my daughter learn in basketball this season and I didn't know it until last night.  After our second game, we gathered with families for pizza and good cheer.  We were headed to the championship game, Sunday afternoon.  One of the coaches asked B, "How many steals did you have today?"  She told him 3.  He was grinning ear to ear and went on to tell her tomorrow's goal would be 4.  I've seen her fight for the ball a lot this season.  Her face becomes very determined, not to be confused with angry or mad when someone tries to grab the ball away from her.  She often keeps the ball and either passes it or dribbles it down the court.  I've seen her take the ball away from the opposing team, but didn't realize this was a focus for her.  Today as I watched the championship game , I realized of course stealing is important!  It changes the possession of the ball and gives the team more opportunities to hopefully score.  As she made her first steal, the crowd cheered and her coach was yelling, "B - that's 1."  I think if she had gotten more steals, he would of kept shouting out her stats to her.  It's good to know your stats and keep working on a goal.  Sometimes, our goals aren't met.  Sometimes our goals change mid stream and sometimes our goals are surpassed.  B didn't get 4 steals today.  She played hard and had fun.  She scored one basket and made one free throw.  She did win the championship game with her team and until next season, stealing is not okay in life.

6 comments:

  1. It's all about perspective and context, isn't it? Way to go to your daughter for setting, meeting, and re-evaluating her goals. What a proud mom you must be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you ended this slice. Now that I have met and had conversation with you I could see you saying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy I love hearing stories about your lovely family, I feel as if I know all your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the W!! Sounds like she's got a great coach!!

    I, too, love the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me as another fan of the ending...and congratulations to your daughter for ending her season with a big win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the championship. As a parent I know it is not all about winning and beating personal records all the time, it is about determination and passion, but it feels good when the hard work and practice brings victory.

    ReplyDelete