Friday, August 29, 2014

B. {Poetry Friday}

I left a plain brown package under my daughter's pillow right before we walked away, a book.  At first, I thought maybe I could leave Goodnight Moon or Owl Babies because we read them almost nightly when she was little.  Then I realized I wanted something with a bit more substance for an 18 year old who is moving away physically but not from our hearts.  

B. by Sarah Kay and Illustrated Sophia Janowitz was first shared during a TED Conference where she performed her poem and then discussed her writing process.  The book is precious if you are a mother or a daughter.  The TED Talk, was titled If I Should Have a Daughter and is the entire book read aloud.  

I wanted to share a few snippets of the poem that fill my heart but really I hope you will have a few minutes to enjoy the entire piece via the TED Talk because the whole piece fills my heart.



"If I should have a daughter,
instead of Mom, she's going to call me Point B.

Because that way she knows that no matter what happens,
at least she can always find her way to me.

...


Okay, there's a few heartbreaks that chocolate can't fix. 
But that's what the rain boots are for.

Because rain will wash away everything, if you let it.

...

And no matter how many land mines erupt
in a minute, be sure your mind lands on
the beauty of this funny place called life."



Poetry Friday is hosted by Jone at Check It Out, thank you Jone.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this...just so that I could pass it along to my youngest, who leaves today to begin her sophomore year in college. Time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a powerful idea. And I love the idea of leaving a book under your college-bound child's pillow! I recently discovered TED Talks, but hadn't watched this one. Thanks so much for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so lovely! I have a daughter who will be going off to college this time next year. I. am. not. ready. I will look for this book and watch this TED talk. I need to gather my strength. = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intuitive mom! Sara Kay is an inspiring young woman. I watched her TED talk a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this poem. Gave it as well to my 12 year old daughter. Loved watching the performance of Sara Kay as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift to leave under her pillow! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete