Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Picture Book Partiality - Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun

Picture Book Partiality Post will highlight picture books I am using and/or discovering.  I am still very fond of picture books and consider them a favorite format to use in the classroom.  

Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun, Having the Courage to Be Who You Are by Maria Dismondy is new to me and perfect for establishing community and fostering new relationships.  It honors and celebrates differences.  Lucy is frequently teased by Ralph a classmate.  In the lunchroom, on the playground, and in the classroom.  The teasing starts to wear Lucy down but her Grandpa is always there to cheer her up.  The teasing was so frequent Lucy worried about it at night and had a hard time falling asleep.    I would hope none of my students would feel this way, as I'm sure all my readers would too.  Unfortunately, there are times when our students aren't with us when teasing can happen and even in the classroom right under our noses teasing can occur.  It always crushes my heart when I learn a child is struggling with relationships in my room.  I love how Lucy has a plan to tell Ralph how mean he is; only to discover she has the courage to help Ralph when he is scared.  This is a great example of courage in action and one our students can try to repeat in their own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment