Monday, August 11, 2014

Math Monday - Math Library

Welcome and thanks for stopping by for our first Math Monday!


I've been drowning, buried, and swamped with creating a second grade classroom library.  As I unpacked boxes of books from my basement I discovered so many great picture book math titles and got a bit giddy for how and where I would put these in my classroom.  As I worked through my classroom design, I wanted them right near my math manipulatives.  I had run out of shelving space and learned from some smart colleagues for extra shelving in the classroom I could remove closet doors.  Isn't that brilliant?!  To create a math library I began by looking at my math standards and sorting my picture books into categories.  I discovered I had a few books that were math puzzles or just overall math thinking which became a tub titled Math is Fun!  What an important message for our students to learn.  My other tubs are Fractions, Geometry, Measurement, Numbers, More than 100, Patterns and Sorting, Time and Money.  

I hope your classroom library expands to your math manipulative area or finds a space within your classroom.  To help make this project a bit easier for you, here are my Math Literature Labels.






Leave your link within a comment and don't forget to check out other blogs to see what they are reading!
To help build our community and support other bloggers, 
it would be nice for you comment on at least three other blogs before you. 
Also, if you tweet about your Math Monday post, don't forget to use #MathMon!

4 comments:

  1. It's a great idea to have a Math Library in our classrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we are on the same page thinking about our math libraries. Thanks so much for starting this learning opportunity. http://teachingin21.blogspot.com/2014/08/math-monday-building-math-library.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about resources for math opening routines. http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2014/08/math-monday-resources-for-opening.html?spref=tw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your math literature labels! I love the idea of putting books right alongside your math manipulatives.

    I wrote about pre-assessment. Thanks for getting the math conversations started! http://simplylearningtogether.blogspot.com/2014/08/math-monday-pre-assessment.html

    ReplyDelete