Sunday, August 10, 2014

Happy Picture Book 10 for 10 Day!

I feel like it's New Year's Eve and the excitement is building for new beginnings but in the world of teaching the excitement is building for discovering new books from friends, colleagues, and strangers.  Cathy from Reflect and Refine: Building a Learning Community and I know three things about your list today without even looking at it.  One, it's hard to only share ten books.  Two, the books you are sharing today make your teaching life better.  And three, you love fostering readers!

Today is our 5th annual picture book event:  #pb10for10.  You can join by linking your blog post here or at  Reflect and Refine: Building a Learning Community.  Cathy and I will then add your post to our 2014 picture book jog.


It is often a little challenging to link all of the posts to the Jog from both of our blogs without duplicating information.  For this reason, we have a few requests if you're joining the event to make it easier for us to collect picture book lists:

  • If you'd like to have your blog linked to the conversation, just comment with the link (cut and paste your post address in the comments) for your picture book list here OR at Reflect and Refine: Building a Learning Community.  
  • You are welcome to comment on both blogs (comments are always appreciated), but to simplify our work in creating this year's jog as a resource, please ONLY LEAVE YOUR LINK ON ONE OF OUR BLOGS.  This will help us to keep from duplicating posts in the jog. 
  • You can also mention us in a link on Twitter using the event hashtag #pb10for10.  However, we cannot guarantee that tweeted links will be added to the jog.  (It gets a little crazy out there!) 
  • If you don't have a blog, but would like to join, there are lots of ways to participate
  • If this is your 5th year, please mention this when you leave your link.

Today I am sharing a list of 10 books I've put together about schools with a focus on global literature.  I took a class this past spring and it expanded my thinking about picture books and showing our students the world is more than what they see and live day to day.  Authors Barbara A. Lehman, Evelyn B. Freeman and Patricia L. Scharer define global literature in Reading Globally K-8, “In sum, our definition of global literature focuses on books that are international either by topic or origin of publication or author.”  The authors honor and recognize it is closely related to multicultural literature, where the literature is comparing cultural groups within the United States.





This book highlights the various ways students get to school in different countries.  It really makes readers process the idea of everyone doesn’t ride a yellow school bus.






Salma and Lilly are best friends at school until one day they are honest with each other and admit they think their sandwiches are weird and gross.  They solve their differences by trying each others food and plan a special lunch event for the whole school.






Sarie doesn’t mind the hot sun in the South Africa but worries about being at school and learning how to read.  The reader follows Sarie’s journey and how she does learn to read.







This book takes readers to schools around the world celebrating similarities and differences.








A photo essay about bread found all over the world.  A great companion book to go with The Sandwich Swap.







A collection of stories about unusual schools all around the world that focus on schools set in an unusual environmental setting, traveling schools, and resourceful ways to make a school.  Touching stories to cause empathy and perspective thinking.




Based on a true story, a immigrant farm worker shares the journey his family takes to farm for money and how he learned to read by spending time with the library lady.  In return, he taught her about Spanish and gained the gift of becoming a reader.







Libraries are not always in a room lined with bookshelves.  This book is a collection of stories about libraries all over the world.  They are in traveling trucks, libraries deliver books through the mail, and some libraries are on boats.




A collection of stories told with beautiful photography to show readers schools are different.  Sometimes students go to school on a boat, in a tree house built in a forest, or via a webcam from another country.





This story is based on true events from Basra, Iraq when their city was invaded during the war.  Alia Muhammad Baker was the head librarian and had the foresight to remove books from the library before it was eventually burned.  She moved the library to her house to keep them safe.




We are so glad you have stopped by and joined our conversation and sharing today.  Please try to comment on several blogs today to grow and foster our community.  There are a couple of quick ways to discover blogs sharing picture books today;  google picture book 10 for 10 or use the hashtag #pb10for10.  By sharing the link to your post today here or with Cathy, it will be added to our Jog the Web summary for Picture Book 10 for 10 Day, 2014!


45 comments:

  1. I'm sharing a readerly life! Excited for this fun day - here's my link http://mrsknottsbooknook.blogspot.com/2014/08/pb10for10-day-books-to-celebrate.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting my absolute favorite (and least favorite, because it's so dang expensive!) day of the year. I think it's a bad sign that I see five books on your list that I want to own before school starts! Yikes! (Another one you might want for this collection, IT'S BACK TO SCHOOL WE GO, by Ellen Jackson). I have a list of new-ish, nonfiction-ish books for big kids on my blog. http://carolwscorner.blogspot.com/2014/08/newish-nonfiction-ish-picture-ish-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is going to be dangerous, thank you for sharing a new title with me I just added it to my shopping cart!

      Delete
    2. I've been reserving on two cards and have maxed them both out. Now I'm pinning titles I don't want to miss.

      Cathy

      Delete
  3. Sharing my link at This & That...

    http://thisandthatbee.blogspot.ca/2014/08/picture-book-10-for-10-2014.html

    "The Sandwich Swap" is a favorite of mine too! I love the theme of your books! They look so good...Will be checking our library for the titles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the theme of your books can't wait to use with my 4th graders going to use Once Upon A Time with my kids this week as we talk about reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your list, with the exception of The Librarian of Basra, is new to me. Awesome!

    Here's my list, http://raisealithuman.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/stronggirlchars/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey,
      I loved seeing so many new titles on your list. I can't wait to check them out.
      Cathy

      Delete
  6. m excited to build my "Must Have" picture book list with everyone this year! Here's the post for my 2014 Top Ten: http://bit.ly/1sM3Ryn Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could join the conversation, Cathy.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this, Mandy. I know several, but would love to have a copy of Off To Class, and My Librarian Is A Camel. Of course, all sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your books look wonderful! So many new titles today! I am sharing ten books that make my fourth graders laugh. http://www.thelatebloomersbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/august-picture-book-10-for-10-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books just made me smile looking at the titles.

      Cathy

      Delete
  9. Here's my list--some oldies, but goodies that enlarge our world and help us see through other's eyes, or with a different perspective. http://amplifyingminds.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/pb10for10/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to see things from someone else's perspective. I'm so glad you could join the conversation, Paula.

      Delete
  10. Great theme choice! This works so well with a post I am working on about "children around the world," since that is always how I start the first few weeks of school. Librarian of Basra missed my top 10 by around 1 slot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you chose this theme! I'm starting my 6th graders off this year with the theme topic "Global Issues," so I needed this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this theme! Education is so important and I'm glad there are picture books that talk about it and in so many ways.

    This is my first #pb10for10 and I've shared my top 10 books I've recommended most asa children's bookseller: http://thechroniclesofachildrensbookwriter.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/2014-pb10for10/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great theme --we need to think more about this focus. Only year two for us but we LOVE it!! Thanks for hosting and a great list!
    Clare and Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great topic Mandy! Many of these titles are new to me. I love The Sandwich Swap. Thank you for helping organize this event! Here is the link to my 10 for 10 post

    http://inspiredtoread.blogspot.com/2014/08/pb-10-for-10-kindergarten-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      Your students will love these titles.
      Cathy

      Delete
  15. Great list! I'm sharing books around the idea of FAIRNESS:
    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2014/08/picture-books-10-for-10-fairness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a smart list for building titles for social imagery.

      Delete
  16. PS -- It's my 5th year...I think...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for hosting Mandy! I left my link on Cathy's blog. I really like this list a lot. I am going to try and find the titles I don't know to bring into my classroom. I particularly am interested in Off to Class

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://oonziela.typepad.com/my-blog/2014/08/top-ten-picture-books-of-summer-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your list! This is such a great idea to help students gain a deeper understanding of the world in a context they can understand.
    Here's my post about community:
    http://1000wordsandcounting.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/picture-book-10-for-10-my-top-ten-favorite-books-about-community/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your titles to help build community.

      Cathy

      Delete
  20. Looking forward to reading all the lists and adding to my I really need this book list. I wrote about 10 quirky picture books. http://rubberbootsandelfshoes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/10-quirky-books-for-children.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a wonderful list and one I will share with my staff and teacher librarian when we start school. I'm happy to be participating in my second 10 for 10! Thank you for this opportunity to share and discover.
    http://readingpowergear.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mandy,
    Love this list. I forgot about My Librarian is a Camel and looking forward to checking out Once Upon a Time. This list is perfect for the #weneeddiversebooks movement.

    Thanks for joining me for our 5th annual #pb10for10. Wow! The posts are flying in and the conversation always makes me excited about starting the new school year. Off to jog….

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this theme, Mandy! Thanks again to you and Cathy for organizing this special event. My list is full of friendship:
    http://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/picture-book-10-for-10-friendship-favorites/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to your third year!

      Thanks for sharing,
      Cathy

      Delete
  24. Mandy - I left my link on Cathy's post. As for your titles, I love seeing posts where the books featured show cultural diversity. Thanks for hosting and for this great list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sorry this is a day late, was at an all day family reunion and forget to post before I left. Better late than never though!

    http://missskopec.blogspot.com/2014/08/picture-book-10-for-10-pb10for10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added your post to our jog, Stephanie.

      Delete