Monday, May 18, 2015

Math Monday - Intervals


Welcome and thank you for stopping by Math Monday, 
I hope you will consider joining the conversation.


Today is our last week of school and I'm beginning to think about summer; projects around the house, hobbies to reconnect with, time with my girls and time to be.  This list doesn't include anything about teaching but I've been thinking of things to work on during the summer and I recently read a great post - Number Lines, Part 2 over at Becoming the Math Teacher You Wished You'd Had by Tracy Zager.  I found the work she shared around number lines fascinating and inspiring.  I had never thought about showing and modeling intervals in our lives for students.  

As I returned to second grade this year, I've been muddling through lots of new standards and trying to understand them.  Since reading Tracy's post one of my summer plans is to collect pictures of intervals to help make Measurement and Data Standard B.6 visual; Represent whole numbers as lengths form 0 on a number line diagram with equally spaced points corresponding to the numbers 0, 1, 2,... and represent-whole number sums and differences within 100 on a  number line diagram.

However, she inspired me to think about other math areas where intervals are integral; number lines, analog clocks, arrays, rulers, graphs, and measuring cups.  I was also inspired to think about places I see intervals or encounter them within my own life.  While cleaning my house blinds last night, I discovered intervals.

I'm so excited to join #intervalchat and make that part of our Math Monday posts.






Leave your link within a comment and 

don't forget to check out other blogs to see what they are thinking mathematically!


To help build our community and support other bloggers, 
it would be nice for you comment on at least three other blogs before you. 
Also, if you tweet about your Math Monday post, don't forget to use #mathmonday!





2 comments:

  1. Make sure you stop by A Year of Reading to see how Mary Lee is thinking about fractions with brownies. http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2015/05/math-monday-pans-of-brownies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I know you're out of school, but I hope you se this http://deb-frazier.blogspot.com/2015/05/is-addition-like-subtraction-math.html

    ReplyDelete