Monday, March 5, 2018

A Lesson in Music? {5 of 31 SOLSC}


"Do you want to bop mom?"  I usually reply yes because the music is much more upbeat than the country music she likes to listen to.  Sometimes the music is something I like.  I'm not a country music fan.  I don't like listening to songs about green tractors or dogs or trucks.  I know there are other things country musicians sing about and I know I'm the driver of the car but I've learned over time if this makes her happy then it's a battle I don't really want to take on.  It usually gives us something to talk about or she's singing and smiling.  

However, when she asked me this question I wasn't prepared for the music we would bop too.  I understand artist like to express themselves in various ways and that sometimes includes it words I don't like; swear words.  We were driving along when suddenly I tuned in to the words today and ask, "Aren't songs rated like movies - G, PG, and R?" She thought that was a crazy idea and I supported my thinking.  She then agreed this song wasn't what she thought it was and asked; "Do you want to vibe mom?"  I've never heard her say this before so I had to inquire.  She informed me vibe is music you can chill to.  Chilling is better than the lyrics that needed censoring.  Country music might be better than the music that needs censoring.  

Author's Note - She can't play country music when her dad is in the car, it's just an honored rule.  I've tried to have that rule and lose.  I really wonder about having songs rated like movies.  Maybe they already are and I need to look into this.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for not only bringing together a community of writers but inviting us to push the pencil daily and nudge our writerly life.

5 comments:

  1. I think there are some songs that are rated because of the language. I must confess, I had no idea what was meant by "Do you want to bop or vibe?" You are one hip mom, you can speak that language. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they do rate songs,and they definitely should because some of the lyrics will make you blush if you haven't already. You've been warned.

    Love the image of you and your daughter together bopping and vibing. Enjoy that, even if the words are a little (or a lot) offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...new concepts to me too. I'm going to have to ask Autumn if she knows what that means. I'll have to share some of my favorite country songs with you. Maybe you'll learn to like some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, love that author's note. Vibe and bop, they both seem pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll never when Jack, then 8, informed me that Katy's Perry song about the popsicle really wasn't a popsicle... proud literacy mom or horrified he knows that mom? It was a metaphor after all... Go for country!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete