Friday, July 6, 2018

inside and out {Poetry Friday}


Inside and Out

greens and blues
surrounding our days
bringing peace
inside and out

white clusters above 
sharing sunshine space
bringing happiness
inside and out

ripples of water
paddle fast paddle slow
bringing comfort
inside and out

off season quiet
going slow
bringing comfort
inside and out




I purchased Poems are Teachers How Studying Poetry Strengthen Writing in All Genres by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater at the start of the summer.  When I was looking at the table of contents I thought I could not rush through this book but meander weekly and try these ideas out myself and share my journey via Poetry Friday.  Each week I will let you know the technique of the week I've played with and a thought or two about the process.  

This week was Jot from a Photograph and I really enjoyed reading guidance words from my friend Mary Lee Hahn and using her writing as a mentor.  I love to take pictures and Mary Lee writes, "My photos are my visual writer's notebooks."  This might just change how I view my photos.

Thank you Tricia at Miss Rumpus Effect for hosting Poetry Friday this week.

8 comments:

  1. Your poem laps like waves on the side of a canoe.
    Your poem dips and pulls like your paddle.
    Your poem breathes in and out -- a beautiful meditation on "off season quiet."

    LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback. I also drafted/captured words in a five box grid like Amy suggested in a t-chart to gather ideas. I was afraid the poem would turn in to a list but it didn't.

      Delete
    2. Mandy, your poem is full of the peace of summer break and Mary Lee, your response if full of the "off season quiet" we all need.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Mandy, I love this. Just reading it brought peace today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being by/in water because it makes me feel so quiet inside. Your poem does the same thing. It makes me quiet. The pattern you used is also really interesting. I really need to buy Amy's book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poems has a peaceful beauty. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to meander through "Poems are Teachers" over the summer! By the time you're done, you'll probably know it "inside and out" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem is lovely with that quiet repetition of "inside and out." Amy's book is on my intended summer reading list, but I have yet to dive into it. From the little I enjoyed this spring, I know it's going to be a rich, rewarding read. I really like your meandering approach. Thanks for sharing and for the nudge to start reading!

    ReplyDelete