Monday, July 5, 2021

The Guest List by Lucy Foley {#bookaday}

The Guest List by Lucy Foley was an adult pick when I panicked - July 1st was already here and I wanted to rewind June. I need little moments like this to nudge me to read for myself without a school or personal learning reason. I borrowed this title using the Libby app and had a few days before it needed to be returned.

It's a mystery. The chapters are organized by character.  Each chapter title states a character name and then the moment in time it is for a weekend destination wedding. When I shared with my daughter the chapter organization she said she didn't like when authors do this....it sounded like she's had too many characters in the worry. I did find it helpful to read the moment in time within the chapter title - earlier in the day, at the reception, two months before. The mystery builds in many ways and I was completely shocked with the who done it selection. 

I love author notes in children's books to help readers understand or learn more about the text. This was the first time I feel like I've seen author notes in an adult read. These were very insightful.

    Wild and Perfect: Playing with Contrasts in The Guest List

    Lucy Foley on Writing Characters You Love to Hate

    there's also a reader's guide if you want to read it with others

No comments:

Post a Comment