Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Books to help us navigate life... {#pb10for10}

First things first - thank you for stopping by and joining Cathy and I for our annual picture book sharing event; Picture Book 10 for 10. This year was probably the hardest year for me to pick ten. I'm knee deep in revising and editing my classroom library. Why did we pick just ten to share, I think I'll revisit this with Cathy.

I've moved to a brand new school and I'll be teaching third grade next year. This past year was challenging, odd, and filled with new learning. Today I grabbed ten books I purchased this year to open our hearts and foster discussions that would help navigate our thinking for navigating life better.

This year you can share your post at Cathy's blog - Reflect and Refine.




Don't Touch My Hair! by Sharee Miller is a fun book to enjoy with a powerful message about personal boundaries. The power of asking permission and respecting the answer no is an important discussion to have with our students.  The author's note shares her own personal experience and leads to reflections for the reader.  


The Youngest Marcher by Cynthia Levinson offers readers a role model for making a difference as a child while teaching them about segregation laws and events in history that helped shape the civil rights movement. Another great author note giving more information about Audrey Faye Hendricks after her marching and detention center time.


What Can A Citizen Do?
by Dave Eggers and Shawn Harris defines an abstract word for readers with examples they can easily understand and implement to help make a difference. 


Lulu the One and Only by Lynnette Mawhinney another book with an author note discussing racial identify in a biracial family. Lulu is a role model for having a power statement for the questions about what she is and turning the question into one that focuses on who she is.


I Believe I Can
by Grace Byers might be a sneak peak into my thinking for next year's book list. I was recently reading about a mental health topic and it was suggested instead of focusing on empathy and affirmations we need to learn self compassion.  


You Hold Me Up by Monique Gray Smith is a beautiful book showing concrete ways of support for each other. The Author's note shares history behind this story in Canada with the treatment of the Indigenous community. As a reader, my heart tugged and empathy was felt.


Love is Powerful by Heather Dean Brewer is based on a true story about the Women's March in 2017 where one little girl carried a sign and cheered her message with others joining her, Love is Powerful. Another role model to help students see they too can make a difference with an author note with background information for the book.

What I Am by Divya Srinivasan

What I Am by Divya Srinivasan is one I wish I had two weeks ago when my rising college freshman when she had to describe who she is. This book shows readers who they are is more than race, gender, and traditional thinking. I can't wait to use this very early in the school year as we build our classroom community.


Stella Brings the Family by Miriam B Schiffer is a story about Mother's Day celebration and one little girl's work around for an event that doesn't fit her family. She doesn't have a mother and ends up bringing her family; including her two dads. A lovely book for expanding the definition of family. 


In Our Mothers' House by Patricia Polacco is another story expanding the definition of family and models acceptance. Acceptance for differences and the idea that different families do similar things other families do.






3 comments:

  1. Love that you are sharing new books you plan to share with your students - so much energy and book love! You Hold Me Up was a go to text for me last year - filled with possibilities and entry points for conversation. Just took a break from blog reading to read What I Am - many people have it in their list and it was in my TBR stack - gorgeous! Thank you for making this event happen - I love it every year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this theme. I think this would be a good question to start a discussion with students - What books have helped you navigate life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, I enjoyed your list. These seem the perfect picks for starting this new school year. There were a few new to me titles that I have added to my library cart. I look forward to checking them out.

    Thanks for another fun #pb10for10 celebration. Who knew 12 years ago we'd still be chatting books?

    Wishing you all the best in your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete