Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Slice of Life - Writing Words



"regret the single story"

"writing makes us human"

"only species that writes"




Tonight I had the honor and privilege to attend a little celebration at The Ohio State University to celebrate the publishing of our work this past summer with the Columbus Area Writing Project.  We were lucky to spend a few moments with Cheryl Achterberg, Dean of Education and Ecology.  Her words were kind, encouraging, and valued the work we did as educators to share our stories with students.  Teacher voices and stories are important.  If you stop by the link provided for the Columbus  Area Writing Project you will find links for two FREE ibooks written by teachers for teachers.  I was fortunate enough to write Chapter 2 in Launching Digital Writing in the Elementary Classroom.  My Chapter is titled, Getting Started with Digital Writing in My Classroom.  Another free ibook available is Curiosity, Complexity and Conversations: Writing Nonfiction in Elementary Grades.  

We have come together here as a writing community to push our thinking and writing.  When I wanted to share the statements above I knew I was going to have to share how I got them and why I was there.  I share these ibooks because they are FREE because they are stories teachers have.  Working together collaboratively on this story/book brings no regrets.  It was hard work but through collaboration my story became our story; "regret the single story" is worth pondering. 

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers group for hosting our writing community and you can stop by other slices from today using the link provided.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an evening you had to celebrate the hard work. Thanks for the link, I will definitely be downloading and reading both books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to have missed it, but glad you were able to capture it here. I'm curious to know more about the quote, "Regret the single story."

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete