Friday, June 25, 2021

Can I Touch Your Hair? {#bookaday}


I'm excited I decided to do #bookaday because I'm getting through my classroom To Be Read pile. Can I Touch Your Hair? Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendships by Irene Latham and Charles Waters is the perfect book to guide conversations with elementary students. As I was reading the text, I could image sitting with my students discussing two poems at time quite comfortably. The topics Irene and Charles share are topics my students could relate to. The perspective each poem offers is causes the reader to pause, to think, and reflect on their own understanding of the perspective presented. This is not a book we will be racing through.

An Authors' Note is a favorite part of a book in our classroom and I'm excited to share an Illustrators' Note from illustrators Sean and Selina. It explains the medium and their personal connections/thinking about the important topics presented in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment